Letterlyn by Evelyn Cunningham

Letterlyn Blog

How to Address Envelopes to Kids

There are SO MANY weird rules for addressing wedding invitations. Let's take a close look at addressing wedding invitations to children and to families with children. First, we'll go into the old-school way of doing things. Then, we'll get a little more practical for a modern-day affair.

Mr, Miss, Ms

Children have their own honorifics! Honorifics are what you might know as titles: Mr., Mrs., Dr., etc. Young women, generally under 16, are Miss. But, it is acceptable to use Ms. instead. Young men used to be called Master, but most people just use Mr. now (thank god, Master brings up to many thoughts of antebellum south for this Virginian).

Addressing Examples

Mr. Jacob and Mrs. Patricia Hopper
Miss Kayla Hopper and Mr. Franklin Hopper


Mr. Jacob and Mrs. Patricia Hopper
Miss Kayla and Mr. Franklin

or, sometimes people completely omit the honorific:

Mr. Jacob and Mrs. Patricia Hopper
Kayla and Franklin

Sometimes, people will just write "and children" or "the Hopper Family" but, in general, the more specific, the better. These more generic options would be great if you also had an inner envelope where you can be specific.

When do children get their own invitation to a wedding?

This question depends on who you ask. I personally say around 16. But, many people argue for 18. And yes, if the are living at home, they still get a separate invite. Think about it this way, would it be feasible and appropriate for this person to come to the wedding without their guardian? If the answer is yes, then they should get a separate invitation!

Thanks for reading! Do you have more questions about etiquette, calligraphy, paper of art? I would love to hear from you!

Submit a question here:

Name *
 Photo by Of Fate and Chaos

Photo by Of Fate and Chaos